Looking after yourself during your Working Holiday in France

In order to obtain a Working Holiday visa for France, you must subscribe an insurance policy to cover at least your medical, hospitalisation and repatriation expenses.


What health insurance should you subscribe for your Working Holiday in France?

Our Cap Working Holiday France policy meets the criteria to obtain a visa. It is recognised and accepted by embassies and will cover you both in your leisure activities and at work. 

The policy essentially covers the following:

    • Repatriation assistance 24/7: actual costs 
    • The reimbursement of all medical and hospitalisation expenses up to €50,000, with an excess of €20 per claim
    • Emergency dental care: €200 maximum, with an excess of €20 per claim
    • Presence of a relative in the event of hospitalisation: return ticket and hotel costs
    • Early return in the event of hospitalisation or death of a relative: return ticket
    • Luggage insurance
    • Civil liability

The policy will also cover you as a tourist anywhere in the world and in your country of origin for 30 days. 

Once you have subscribed the policy, your certificate of insurance and policy will be automatically sent to you by e-mail.

The Cap Working Holiday France policy can be subscribed for between 3 and 12 months.

So you’d like to go and live in France for a year on a Working Holiday visa. Why not subscribe a Cap Working Holiday France policy with Chapka Assurances at the unbeatable price of €630.

For more information on the Cap Working Holiday France policy, feel free to contact our advisers by phone on +44 20 3808 7722, by WhatsApp on +34 628 27 83 50 or by e-mail at info@chapka.fr. Our advisers can speak English, Spanish and Portuguese.


How to obtain a social security number for a Working Holiday in France

People who arrive in France on a Working Holiday visa must have travel insurance. In theory, therefore, you do not need to register with the French social security organisation.

However, should you wish to apply to register, you must contact the CPAM (Caisse Primaire d’Assurance Maladie) or the MSA if you work in agriculture.

You will be asked to provide the originals and copies of the following documents:

The process can be very long and tedious and may take up to several weeks, as your application will be sent to the department that issues social security numbers.


The cost of medical appointments in France

The prices stated here are provided by way of a guide. They may vary according to the length of treatment, number of services provided, geographic area, status of medical centre (public or private), etc. 

    • Appointment with a GP: €23
    • Home visit by a doctor if you are unable to attend a surgery: from €33 during the day and from €45 during the night or on public holidays
    • Appointment with a dentist: €23
    • Ordinary examination by a dentist: €30
    • Examination by a dentist with X-rays: from €42
    • Physiotherapy session: from €16 for 30 minutes
    • Hospitalisation: this depends on your condition, the type of establishment and the geographic area


Social security cover in France

    • Appointment with a GP: 70% reimbursed. A fixed contribution of €1 is also withheld by the health insurance scheme and must be paid by you, as it cannot be reimbursed by the mutual insurance company
    • Dental surgery: 70% reimbursed
    • Physiotherapy sessions: 60% reimbursed (subject to a medical excess of €0.50)
    • Hospitalisation in hospital or at an approved private clinic: 80% reimbursed
    • Hospital expenses: 80% reimbursed
    • Drugs: 0 to 100% reimbursed depending on the importance and cost of the drug

Your mutual insurance company or supplementary health insurance may cover the remainder.


You are advised (and obliged) to opt for private insurance due to the amount of paperwork involved in obtaining a reimbursement.


What to do if you are ill and unable to work

The first thing you must do if you are ill is notify your manager and/or employer by telephone. You must then ask your doctor to issue a sick note, which you must hand over to your employers on your return to work.


What to do in case of emergency

Below are the numbers you can call 24/7, free of charge, in case of emergency:

    • 15: the Samu emergency service, a mobile hospital service that can answer medical questions over the telephone, provides first aid directly to the patient and transports patients to hospital if necessary
    • 17: the Police, the number to call to report instances of violence and aggression
    • 18: the fire service, to report a road traffic accident, fire or dangerous situation
    • 112: the European emergency number that works anywhere in the world

The emergency services are often swamped, so make sure your needs are genuine. It is recommended to call the emergency services first so that they can assess the severity of the situation.

Call the emergency services if you experience any of the following for example: faintness or convulsions, haemorrhage, chest pain, road traffic accident, burns, electrocution, intoxication by a hazardous product, fracture or difficulty breathing.


How the emergency services work:

1. A nurse will provide first aid (apply a bandage or splint and read your pulse and temperature, etc.). The nurse will then determine how urgent your situation is. You could have to wait a long time, depending on your condition.

2. You will then be examined by an in-house or external doctor. A specialist may be contacted, depending on your medical problem.

3. Once you have received medical treatment, you will either be discharged with your medical results, prescription and sick note, or you will be hospitalised (overnight for observation, transferred to a healthcare establishment, hospitalised for a longer period of time, etc.)